There are many reasons why studying in Germany is an excellent idea for Africans willing to come study in Germany. Here’s a step by step guide on how African students come can to study in Germany:
Germany has exceptional universities and boasts of over 500 schools where students can get free degrees from.
There are 587 schools and universities that offer programs in Germany and it is also highly renowned for its innovation, research and technology, which means whatever program one decides to pursue, you will receive world-class education and qualifications valued by employers worldwide.
If you are a African planning on coming to Germany, university education is affordable especially in post public universities which charge no tuition fees and only charge for administration fees.
Universities in Germany generally ask students to submit what is known as Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB), also known as ‘higher education entrance qualification’
Students outside the EU may have to go through a one-year preparatory course known as Studienkolleg because qualifications from outside of the EU are usually not recognised in Germany.
After completing your Studienkolleg you have to pass the Feststellungsprüfung entrance examination to be eligible for admission to German universities.
For everyone thinking of coming to Germany, it is paramount that you learn the language as it is an essential part of the admission process. German is the language of instruction in most programs in Germany so you will be required to provide proof of German/English proficiency.
- Apply for student visa before being allowed to enter the country – you will be required go apply at the German embassy in your country.
- You will be required to prove your visa eligibility
- You will also need to provide personal identification documents (valid passport and photographs), academic transcripts ad completed application forms.
- You will be requested to submit proof of admission to your university along with your secondary school leaving certificate or original WAEC-certificate and personal documents
- You will also have to show official letter of acceptance into whichever school you are being admitted to.
You should begin the visa application process as soon as you receive the acceptance letter to your degree program, Studienkolleg, or preparatory Germany language course.
In Germany, you are required to prove financial stability in order to study in Germany. The authorities want to make sure that you can support yourself during your studies in Germany.
As a African coming to study in Germany, the best way to go about this is to attain a blocked bank account and from January 2021, you must have a total of €10,332 in your German blocked account.
In terms of language proficiency, you will be required to show proof. For those going for the German-taught or mixed language programs: DSH, TestDaf, or Goethe Institute German Language Diploma (GDS). For English-taught of mixed language programs: IELTS or TOEFL. Specific score requirements will vary depending on the program.