South Korea has re-implemented strict lockdown measured in the capital of Seoul following the largest spike in the cases of coronavirus in nearly two months. This action was taken on by the government after the country had already appeared to be having its coronavirus cases under control. The newly imposed lockdown should take effect in the capitals’ metropolitan area which is also home to half of South Korea’s 51 million people, it should be in effects until the 14th of June. Health minister Park Neung said that museums, parks, and art galleries will all be closed again from Friday for two weeks while companies that need to operate are being ushered to create flexible work hours and other measures that could enforce social restrictions.
Residents of Seoul have also been advised to avoid social gatherings or going to crowded places, including restaurants and bars. Religious facilities have been asked to be extra vigilant with quarantine measures. Park said the next two weeks are crucial to prevent the spread of the infection in the metropolitan area. He added that, “We will have to return to social distancing if we fail.” Park pleaded with residents in and around the capital to avoid unnecessary gatherings and urged companies to allow sick employees to take time off work. “Infection routes are being diversified in workplaces, crammed schools and karaoke rooms in the metropolitan area,” he said.
From the 6th of May, restrictions in the country had been lifted but the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) reported 79 new infections with 67 from the capital, Seoul. Health official face a challenge in determining where the infections emanate from and is calling on all people to remain vigilant and aware. A lot of the new infections stem form people being in crowded areas and hence the government is advising people to avoid places that require this exercise.