Skip to content

How to get your visa and residence permit when coming to Germany for studies

None-EU citizens who would like to come to Germany for studies must apply for study visa at the Germany Embassy in their countries 

Study in Germany
How to apply for study visa and Residence permit in Germany

The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) states that one can only apply for this visa after admission to a state or state-approved university.

The study visa is valid for up to two years, but can be extended on request.

One of the very important requirement for this visa is proof that you have the financial capabilities to support yourself

In Germany, foreign students are allowed to work during their studies for up to 120 full or 240 half days.

After graduation, a student is allowed to extend their residence permit again for up to 18 months to find a job that corresponds to their qualifications.

While looking for a job, the graduate can exercise any kind of employment.

READ MORE: Work in Germany 2022: 5 major changes affecting all workers

Working in Germany: Minimum wage – what is the rate per hour

How to get the residence permit in Germany when coming for studies

It is important to note that a foreigner who meets requirements for a university degree course can still be allowed to come to Germany even before being admitted to a German university. In this case, one has to apply for a Residence Permit for the purpose of applying for a course of study

This permit allows the holder to come to Germany for nine months to apply for a course of study or to prepare to start studying – for example by attending a language course or a preparatory course (called a “Studienkolleg”).

If you’d like to apply for this permit, please make sure you can prove that you have the means to support yourself during this time.

Unlike the study visa, the Residence Permit for Applying to study cannot be extended.

The holder is also not allowed to take up employment at the same time (except during the holidays)