Child benefit (Kindergeld) 2023. Child benefit or Kindergeld, is the amount paid by the state to families with children that are not able to support themselves financially. Here is all you need to know, from how much it is, how to apply and what documents are required.
How much is the benefit?
From January 1, 2023, the amount of the benefit increased to 250 euros for each child. It will be paid as follows:
- for 1 child: 250 euros
- for 2 children: 500 euros
- for 3 children: 750 euros
- for 4 children: 1,000 euros
- for 5 children: 1,250 euros
Until what age are you entitled to pay?
Kindergeld is generally paid for all children up to 18 years of age, children in education up to the age of 25, and unemployed children up to the age of 21.
How do you apply for Kindergeld?
Applications must be submitted in person or by a tax advisor by post to the competent Family Benefit Office for the place of residence (Familienkasse). Applications for child/children allowance must be submitted on special forms available from the Family Benefit Office or downloaded from www.familienkasse.de or www.bzst.de.
What documents are you required to submit during application?
- In the case of divorce/legal separation, a court decision translated into German by an authorized translator is required;
- Certificate of residence in Germany (Anmeldung), in the absence of one, last German address.
- Copies of the identity card of the applicant and the child’s guardian.
- EU marriage and birth certificate, if there are children from a marriage. Otherwise a full birth certificate translated into German by a legal translator is required.
- The decision to grant/not to grant an allowance in another EU country.
- Lohnsteuerbescheinigung (for each period of work up to four years ago).
- Education certificate for the child, if he is over 18 years old;
- If the child’s guardian is not the parents, for example a grandmother, then a certificate is needed in which the parents declare that they entrust this person with the care of the children. This letter must be translated into German.
- Recent German tax rulings (Einkommensteuerbescheid)
- In the case of business activity in Germany, a copy of the registration in the Gewerberegister.
When should you expect the payment?
The date on which the Kindergeld together with any supplement will be transferred to the account depends on the last digit of the Kindergeldnummer.
Child benefit (Kindergeld) payment dates in April 2023. There will be delayed payment
Germany will pay up to €2,000 per family in new heating allowance. Who is entitled to it?
Wohngeld (Housing allowance) in Germany 2023: Who is entitled to it and when
Citizenship income (Bürgergeld) payment dates and who is entitled?
Double pay for employees in Germany. Here’s who is entitled to it
Germans to receive inflation bonus or a salary supplement of 600 euros