Skip to content

Ready to Spring Forward? Clocks Change to Summer Time Soon

Daylight saving time in 2024 is scheduled to begin soon. Despite the ongoing debate about eliminating this burdensome obligation, the transition to summer time is imminent. It’s time to move the clocks forward.

In recent years, numerous countries have opted to completely abolish the practice of time changes. However, in the European Union, altering regulations is a more complex process. Consequently, member states will soon find themselves once again having to conform to the European Parliament directive from 2000 and adjust the clocks.
Read also: Important changes coming into effect from March 2024 in Germany

Daylight saving time is not universally favored, particularly due to the clock moving forward, resulting in the sudden loss of 60 minutes of sleep. Some studies even propose that it may contribute to elevated rates of heart attacks, road accidents, workplace injuries, and crime.

As per, at present, only 40 percent of countries worldwide observe time changes, while the remaining 60 percent adhere to a fixed time throughout the year, irrespective of the season. Several countries, including Egypt, Turkey, Armenia, Argentina, Brazil, and Russia, have abolished the practice of time change. Notable regions where clocks no longer shift include Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, and Yemen, along with India, China, and Japan. More recently, Syria, Iran, Jordan, and Mexico have joined the list of countries that have abandoned time changes, with the last occurrence recorded in 2022.

Daylight saving time change 2024 – date

In 2024, the transition from winter to summer time is scheduled for Sunday, March 31. The summer time period will continue until October 27, 2024, when we will revert to winter time. During this adjustment, the clocks will be moved forward by one hour, from 02:00 to 03:00. Consequently, we will experience one hour less of sleep on that day.
Read also: Here’s how EU citizens can obtain permanent residence in Germany

In adherence to the directive of the European Parliament, the date for the time change is flexible, with the regulation specifying that it must occur twice a year: on the last Sunday of March and the last Sunday of October. The selection of Sunday is aimed at minimizing the impact of the time change on health, well-being, and the organization of everyday life.

The history of the introduction of the change to winter time

It is noteworthy that the Germans pioneered the biannual time change. During World War I, on April 30, 1916, Germany and its ally Austria-Hungary moved the time forward by one hour, introducing what became known as summer time. Subsequently, Great Britain and most European countries adopted the practice. Russia implemented the transition to summer time in 1917, while the United States followed suit in 1918. In Poland, summer time was observed in the years 1916-1919, 1940-1949, 1957-1964, and continuously from 1977 to the present.