Skip to content

German charged with murder of Ghanaian asylum seeker killed in hostel fire in 1991

Racism in Germany: The case of the Ghanaian asylum seeker, Samuel Kofi Yeboah, who died in 1991 due to a racist arson attack in Saarlouis is about to be solved.

A man in Germany has been arrested and charged with murder 31 years later.

Ghanaian asylum seeker Samuel Kofi Yeboah in 1991.

According to Spiegel, the police arrested the alleged perpetrator: a well-known right-wing extremist identified as Peter. S who is being investigated for the murder.

The police have also admitted they made mistakes during the investigation and have since arrested the suspect on Monday morning the 4th of April 2022.

Against Peter S. there is “urgent suspicion of murder, attempted murder to the detriment of 20 people and arson resulting in death,” wrote to quote the federal prosecutor

An arrest warrant has been issued against him due to the death of the Ghanaian who was killed in the event of the racist attack in September 19, 1991. Two people were injured and 18 other residents of the accommodation were able to get safety away from the fire.

According to a report in Der Spiegel , Peter S., who has now been arrested, was a well-known figure in the right-wing extremist scene in Saarlouis in the 1990’s.

The man is said to have assumed a leading role in demonstrations by right-wing extremists and in 1992 was involved in a Neo-Nazi attack on a student in Saarbrücken.

READ ALSO: Dublin agreement explained: What you need to know and what it means for asylum seekers?

Infomigrants reported that Saarland Police Chief Norbert Rupp, in a statement, apologised for failures which had led to the case being dropped. He added that he was relieved that the act could finally be cleared up after more than 30 years.

It was also said that the investigation into the attack had initially been dropped because police were unable to find a suspect. It was renewed three decades later after a special unit uncovered problems in the investigation procedures. 

What happened in the fire attack of 1991 to Ghanaian asylum seeker Samuel Yeboah?

The accused, Peter. S, entered the building, poured gasoline out of a plastic canister in the stairwell on the ground floor and set it on fire.

The fire spread at high speed throughout the stairwell and caught the 27-year-old Ghanaian national, Samuel Yeboah, in the attic hallway. He suffered severe burns and smoke inhalation, which led to his death on the day of the crime.

Samuel Yeboah had been working as a caretaker in the hostel, a former guesthouse called the White Rose. According to the Amadeu Antonio foundation, a German anti-racism NGO, he had been a farmer in Ghana before coming to Europe.

Source:, infomigrants