Life in Germany. Electricity consumers at home. Electricity prices in Germany are rising, and many people are trying to reduce their energy consumption. But what household appliances consume the most electricity?
Although we don’t use them often, electrical appliances such as an electric oven or a hair dryer use a lot of electricity. It is different with the fridge and freezer, which we never turn off. So which household appliances are the biggest energy consumers?
What are the electricity consumers at home?
These are devices that consume relatively much energy. According to the German electricity supplier entega , the household appliances that consume the most electricity are:
- Tumble dryer
- old heating pumps
- Electric cookers
- Washing machines
- Small household appliances (such as toasters, vacuum cleaners, etc.)
What mostly consumes electricity in our homes?
About 27% of our total electricity consumption is used up on media and entertainment, these are TVs, computers and game consoles. Washing and drying account for 13%, while a refrigerator and washing machine account for an average of 11%.
Tips on reducing electricity consumption
Saving electricity is easier than it sounds. Here are a few simple tips to help you reduce your energy consumption.
- Laptops and mobile phones: Turning down the brightness level saves the battery and energy needed for charging.
- Entertainment: Do not leave equipment on standby, instead unplug it.
- Washing: Do not turn the dryer on if the weather is nice. Hang the laundry outside.
- Lighting: Replace old bulbs with energy saving LED bulbs.
- Kitchen: Close refrigerator door immediately after use. Instead of a pot, boil water in a Kettle.
- Bathroom: Set the instantaneous water heater temperature two to three degrees lower.
When should you replace home appliances?
Thanks to technological progress, experts recommend replacing old appliances with new ones as they now use much less energy. It is cost-effective to replace devices that are in constant use. For example, a refrigerator should be replaced after 10 years, a fridge-freezer after 15 years, and a tumble dryer after 15 years.
Read also: How much electricity it consumes to watch TV and how to save
Germany: New regulations to reduce energy and gas consumption starting September