Germany may be facing a much longer shutdown period as new federal lockdown measures could last until the end of May or middle of June – Tagesspiegel.
In a meeting with Germany’s 16 states on Sunday, chancellor Angela Merkel’s chief of staff Helge Braun, made it clear that the federal government could extend and strengthen current lockdown measures until the end of May or mid-June.
Germany may be on the brink of making the regulations, which previously were decided and enforced by the states, to be decided by the federal government.
According to a draft revision to the law, stricter measures would be put in place when there’s a 7-day incidence of over 100 new infections per 100,000 residents lasting for over three days, as well as automatically for a 7-day incidence of over 200.
The current extension is meant to last until the 18th.
READ RELATED ARTICLE: COVID-19, Berlin introduces compulsory testing at schools
What the new measures look like:
- Private gatherings would be restricted
- Nighttime curfew
- All businesses with the exception of essential shops or businesses
- Cultural and recreational facilities would close
- Restaurants to remain closed but allow for take-out and deliveries.
This is what the new draft measures in the Infection Protection Act specify:
- Hard, regional lockdown if the 7-day incidence threshold of 100 is exceeded for three days
- Private gatherings will be limited to members of a household and one other person
- Curfews from 9pm to 5am, with exceptions for emergencies or work-related reasons
- Sports will be very limited, with a maximum of two people
- All businesses must also close – with the exception of grocery stores, pharmacies, drugstores and gas stations.
- Cultural and leisure facilities such as zoos, swimming pools, museums, etc. will also have to close
- The catering trade will remain closed. Pick-up and delivery of food is allowed, however
- If the incidence level is below the level of 100 again for three days, the measures can be waived. If it is above that for three days, they come back into effect
- Schools and daycare centers may remain open only if the incidence is below 200. Even then, students may only attend classes if they test twice a week